PADKOS NO 114
Dear padkos friends, this is going to be a very special gathering. Not only is it our first chance to get together as a padkos community since COVID-19 impacted, but check out some of what we’ll be doing:
- unveiling for the first time the magnificent “in, against and beyond” artworks that you created together at our last padkos event back in November 2019;
- launching a new booklet based on the “being… here… now…” padkos series of last year;
- getting creative in a mark-making process facilitated, once again, by Eloff Pretorius;
- hearing live music from national treasure and global inspiration, Guy Buttery;
- enjoying local beer, wine and drinks together at the close; and
- there’ll be a seasonal, local, and mindfully-prepared dinner afterwards for those who book.
We’ll follow up with more information and reminders soon, but this is one you do not want to miss. In the meantime, here’s a little background about Guy Buttery who we are just thrilled and humbled to have with us:
The Mercury newspaper has also described him as “something of a National treasure”, and the Sunday Independent reckons he’s “one of the most influential artists over the past decade”. He was the youngest-ever nominee at the South African Music Awards (SAMA’s) for his debut album when he was just 18. Since then, multiple nominations have followed and he’s twice been a SAMA’s winner, and in 2018, won the prestigious Standard Bank Young Artist Award. Beyond Guy’s solo work, his national and global collaborations are also beautiful and legendary. “His international role has … evolved into one as an ambassador of South African music, inspiring people across the world with his homegrown style at the very heart of his talent and tenacity. Guy’s distinct unification of South African guitar music is the musical advocate for everything positive and beautiful about the place he calls home”.
Guy’s most recent album with Mohd Amjad Khan (on tabla) and Mudassir Khan (on sarangi), “One Morning in Gurgaon” has been riding high on a phenomenal range of ‘top 10 lists’ – including from National Public Radio (NPR) Music, PopMatters, and a spot on the World Music Charts, Europe.
For more info, check out: https://wikisouthafrica.co.za/guy-buttery/ and https://guybuttery.co.za/ and www.guybuttery.bandcamp.com